Coiled hair is divided into three specific curl patterns which need to be treated with a moisturizing shampoo designed to keep the hair and scalp healthy.
According to Naturally Curly, on the curl spectrum, coiled hair is identified as Type 4. Coiled hair is then separated into three types.
Type 4: Coiled hair groups
- 4A – curls are “S”-shaped, high density and fine
- 4B – curls are “Z”-shaped, prone to shrinkage and heat damage
- 4C – curls similar to 4B, with less definition and prone to tangling
Most people suffer from scalp problems at some point. The unique demands of coiled, curly hair lead many people to choose hairstyles that can be worn for multiple days between washes.
Sometimes, though, maintaining a style for that long can stress out the scalp- it’s difficult to give your scalp the moisture it needs in-between washes.
Build-up of products, like sweat or dirt on the scalp, can also irritate the skin. You may experience one or more of the following:
If left untreated or treated with the wrong products, these can become worse and damage your scalp and hair.
How to treat scalp problems associated with coiled hair
- Wash regularly to remove scalp build-up
- Limit heat styling: use low heat or heat-free methods like curlers, perm rods or flexirods
- For stubborn dandruff flaking, use dandruff shampoo
Scalp problems can be treated effectively with a shampoo that restores your hair and scalp back to its natural health.
Problems with scalp dryness, irritation, and itching could also point to dandruff.
Fortunately, dandruff is really simple to treat; when used regularly, our products also provide clinically proven protection for all the symptoms of dandruff.
If your symptoms are more severe and don’t seem to be getting better, you may be suffering from seborrheic dermatitis and need to treat it with a clinical strength shampoo.
Symptoms of seborrheic dermatitis
- severe flakes in your hair
- white or yellowish scales on your scalp that can be oily
- inflamed areas on the scalp
No matter what kind of curls you have, healthy scalp means a healthy head of hair, which you can achieve with all our products.
More tips and advice from the experts: